I have been reflecting a lot in the 6 months since I was appointed as Headteacher Designate for Aureus School, and especially over the Christmas break, over how I can best learn and develop as a Headteacher . I feel very privileged to have a fantastically supportive and experienced #PLN to draw on, who inspire me in my role as a leader. How can I grow from these critical friendships?
For me I learn best by speaking to, listening to, reading and learning from those who are doing what I seek to do. I learn through my senses and through my experiences. I learn best from those who I respect and trust, those with credibility. I want to learn how to ‘walk the walk’ from those who have done it or are doing it, by listening to them ‘talk the talk’.
So alongside my regular blog as a new Headteacher, I am going to publish a weekly blog, from a Headteacher who is more established and more experienced than me, to gain insight from their leadership journey. They will share the challenges they have faced and the solutions they found, which will in turn help me and others who are starting or have just started their headships navigate the highs and the lows.
SO I INTRODUCE TO YOU: ‘TALKING HEADS’
- To promote the diversity of the Headteacher community
- To elevate the profile and amplify the voices of those challenging the systems
- To celebrate teaching as a profession and advocate school leadership journeys
- To create a dialogue between senior leaders aspiring to headship and serving Headteachers
- To share leadership challenges and solutions
- To inspire teachers and leaders to aspire to be Headteachers
- To publish a weekly blog to share leadership journey and insights
- To use a common Q&A format: 2 Why, 2 How, 2 What questions answered
- To share insight through varying content: questions selected by the leader being profiled
- Deputy Headteachers preparing to secure Headships
- Senior leaders aspiring to become Headteachers
- Teachers who want to see leaders who represent their backgrounds and experiences progress up the leadership ladder