With #wellbeing as a value in our new school I was keen to embed the #teacher5aday principles in the fabric of Aureus School from day 1.
Charlotte, our Staff Wellbeing lead works, alongside Julie, our Culture and Wellbeing lead, to create the strategy of our provision.
Our mission: to create a healthy happy school.
Our vision: to ensure that the staff’s wellbeing is prioritised as well as the students’ as often it is at the expense of.
Our provision: we have a #wellbeing room, with #wellbeing pledges and a #wellbeing champion. We have had half-termly #wellbeing Wednesdays and have had staff Mindfulness sessions. But, we are only scratching the service at the moment of balancing our workload with our #wellbeing.
We have had an intense 14 weeks since we opened – we have had an increased workload to manager as we are a start-up school. We are all hoping term 2 will settle and be a bit easier!
I am committed to see our staff and our students ‘thrive’ and ‘flourish’ by creating the conditions needed to nurture a #wellbeing culture.
I will continue to strive to model that we can be teachers and leaders but also establish balance in our pursuit of ‘work life harmony’.
This takes time – we do not have a magic wand, we do not have a life belt, but we do have the passion and purpose to work together on How to Thrive as Teachers as opposed to How to Survive as Teachers.
As the headteacher I need to work harder at modelling this and not being the human sponge. I equally need to ring fence my own #wellbeing and not allow myself to fall into the trap of looking after everyone else at my own expense.
- I need to work harder at maintaining my relationships with my friends and former colleagues in London. Since moving my first 9 months have been busy, but I now need to make sure I invest in sustaining these friendships.
- I need to continue to get myself out and about in my new area to meet new people – at the moment they have all been through education – but I am trying.
- I will meet a new tribe and build new friendships this year as I am travelling to Mozambique for the summer.
- I need to find another yoga class as my teacher has moved on.
- I need to ride my bike more.
- I need to find a dance class to resume.
- I need to explore the benefits of mindfulness more regularly.
- I need to go on more walks to explore my new area.
- I am considering buying a SLR as I used to do a lot of black and white photography which makes you stop, pause and look at the details of your surroundings.
- I will continue reading, reflecting on and publishing the #TalkingHeadsblog
- I will continue reading professional books by teachers and leaders – my aim is one per month – I have a stack that have been sent to me to get through!
- I will complete my Electric Woman coaching programme with Nikki Armytage-Foy.
- I will continue to go to choir once a week with Sarah Louise Chitty and Vocalize.
- I will continue to drive the growth of our #WomenEd community and the WLIE network for the SE.
- I will continue in my role as a Trustee at GEMs Primary, as it will give me insight in my role as Executive Headteacher of a new secondary and a primary school.
- I will continue to support the organisations working on creating more flexibility in the system including GiniBee, ReturntoTeach and FlexibleTeaching.
- I will travel to Mozambique with Action Aid on a First-Hand Experience next summer.
Happy 2018 everyone! May you THRIVE this year as I intend to.
Hannah, The Hopeful Headteacher
Currently feeling hopeful about:
- Consolidating the life choices and lifestyle changes I initiated last year and making further changes this year.
Currently reading and thinking about:
- Mindful Teacher, Mindful School, Kevin Hawkins
- Leading from the Edge, James Hilton
- This Much I Know About Mind Over Matter, John Tomsett
Currently feeling grateful for: